Homepage > Information and Services > Settling in Monaco

Settling in Monaco

Becoming a resident

Fulfilling the requirements

Anyone who is more than 16 years of age and wishes to reside in Monaco for more than three months in a year, must apply for a residence permit issued by the Monégasque authorities, according to the Convention Franco-Monégasque de Voisinage of 18 May 1963 and the  Ordinance no. 3.153 of 19 March 1964 pertaining to conditions for entry and residence of foreign nationals in the Principality

European Economic Area Nationals  (EEA Nationals):
An identity card or valid passport is sufficient. No visa is required.

Non-European Economic Area Nationals  (Non-EEA Nationals):
Before making any application to the Principality, you must apply for a long-term visa for Monaco, issued by the French authorities. Please note that minors also require a visa.
Contact the French Consulate   in your country of residence. The procedures to follow are different depending on your nationality and the country you live in.

In all cases, you must:

  • Prove that you have accommodation in Monaco that is of sufficient size for the household
  • Guarantee that you have sufficient financial resources:
    • Have an employment contract
    • Or be the manager or director of a company, or self-employed, or in the process of starting up a business
    • Or be supported by a third party
    • Or have sufficient savings
  • Prove that you are of good character (criminal records information or equivalent) 

Get more information

Monaco Welcome & Business Office  - has been specifically set up to help those who wish to establish themselves in the Principality, whether in a private or professional capacity - 9 rue du Gabian (first floor) - (+377) 98 98 98 98 - welcome.business@gouv.mc

Police Department – Administrative Police Division – Residency, Certifications and Lost-and-Found Section  responsible for Residence Permit applications – 3, rue Louis Notari - (+377) 93 15 30 17


Obtaining a residence permit

Applications for residence permits are dealt with by the Residency, Certifications and Lost-and-Found Section  of the Police Department. The application process varies depending on the plans and the background of the applicant.

Please note that residence permits are not issued to minors under the age of 16. However, a Foreign Young Person’s Travel Document can be issued to enable them to travel abroad.


Access all information and services on the Public Service section of the Prince’s Government website:


Embassy of Monaco in China

Ministère d’État
Place de la Visitation
MC 98000 Monaco

Phone Number : +377 98 98 49 21
Fax Number : +377 98 98 89 34
What to do in an event of emergency? Click here to find out more Click here to find out more! Click here to go to the Events calendar on www.visitmonaco.com Click here to go to Monaco Channel

Article de bienvenue

On affiche le Chapeau de l'article directement dans le bloc de la page d'accueil. On peut utiliser "normalement" la mise en forme mis à notre disposition : Le gras, l'italique.

Et même des listes :

  • liste
  • liste
  • liste

On peut aussi faire des
retours à la ligne là où on le souhaite !